Thursday, June 30, 2011

Escape

Do it yourself


It's that time of the summer when I start to long for a vacation.  It's so hot, much hotter than it normally is at this time, and it sucks the very life out of you.  Even small tasks seem difficult when the humidity is 80% and the heat index is over 100.  Last year, I promised myself we would take a proper vacation, but with the insanity of the last shuttle flight and a possible new contract at work, I'm not sure it's going to happen.  I find that so depressing.  E has been extremely clingy.  I thought it would go away when she felt better after a brief illness, but I am still unable to leave her line of sight without hearing "Mommy! Where are you?"  I love my children dearly, but I would like to use the restroom, or make dinner in peace.  Two demanding toddlers and a life full of responsibilities makes me a little itchy for some sort of break.  We might make it to Illinois in the fall, but even that is uncertain right now.   My only escape has been reading.

When I was a child we lived on an acreage and really didn't have neighbor's, and the neighbors we did have didn't have kids my age.  When most kids were running next door to play with friends, I was reading a book.  It was a habit brought on by boredom and a need to escape the tension in the house brought on by my mother's eating disorder and depression.  I completely escaped into books and became obsessed with the stories and the characters.  I wanted to be in the books.  If I was more talented, I probably could have written one, but I have settled for being a happy consumer.  I love that obsession.  I love thinking about how the author came up with the idea behind a book, and I wonder about the characters after the book ends.  (What happens to Johanna Mason??)

As I wrote in a previous post, I can't believe I ever left reading behind.  I'm glad it's back.  I really enjoy writing my reviews, although I might be the only one who reads them. If I can't go somewhere, at least I can spend my evenings reading.  Of course, that might explain how messy my house looks at the moment.

Are you on Goodreads?  It's an excellent way to keep track of the books you want to read. Let's connect here.

I just read a really good, but kind of spooky book called Dismantled.  My review is here.
 


**I took the above photo at Ikea. The title means "Do It Yourself".  My other favorite Ikea book title is "Married to a Communist". 

2 comments:

  1. I love love reading. Being an only child until I was 8 years old--I consumed them.

    I am on GoodReads...if we are not friends there already...

    I tend to drift towards non-fiction (history and biography) but I try to get some fiction in. (My technique to more fiction in--every other book needs to be fiction)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always told people, I need an escape hatch. Wherever I am in life, I need to know I can GET OUT. This is why parenthood was a scary proposition to me, cuz let's face it -- there is NO escape from that! And I knew that would be hard for me, and indeed, it has been.

    I think this also is why the weather you speak of is difficult for me; it makes me feel claustrophobic! Heat is okay, but head AND humidity make me feel like I'm LOSING MY MIND. So, I feel ya.

    I'm having trouble getting Bri enthused about vacations... Our last one didn't go all that well. I finally booked a couple nights at the ocean in a place that lets us bring our dog! This is very exciting. The dog is a sweet, lovey focal point for all of us. She will be a good distraction. I hope. HAHAHAHAHAHA

    Since we're not doing much this summer, I also am hoping for a Chicago trip in the Fall... Probably Thanksgiving! A girl can hope! :-D

    xo

    ReplyDelete